More than just “sayings”; there is wisdom in some of these words.
Over the years I’ve collected a number of “one liners”, woodworking says and thoughts. Some of them poke fun at us as woodworkers and some; well I’ll leave that up to you.
I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
1. Knowing how something is done is one thing.
Being able to do it is another. G.G.
2. The most talented people I know are humble. The least talented usually aren’t.
3. Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.
4. I cut it twice and it’s still too short.
5. Woodworking, it’s not a hobby, it’s an addiction.
6. I work to support my woodworking habit.
7. Will work for more tools!
8. Lumber turns to furniture in my hands.
9. I’m a professional toothpick maker.
10. Every woodworker needs a fireplace.
11. If nail’en it won’t work, then screw it.
12. Women love me, trees fear me.
13. The Hurrier I go the Behinder I get.
14. There are no mistakes in woodworking until you run out of wood.
15. Some of the finest furniture ever made was veneered.
16. He who dies with the most tools wins.
17. We are now doing the impossible it just taking a little longer.
18. Those who say it’s impossible should not get in the way of those doing the impossible.
19. A bad day woodturning is still better than a good day working.
20. When it comes to buying tools I use the one my father taught me. “It’s easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission” my wife hates it, but it works every time……… well almost.
21. “You want me to make that? Then I need to buy….”
22. “Well you can get it done right-a-way or you can get it done right, your choice!”.
23. Some people are enamored with tools.
Some others are enamored with process.
The others are busy with making furniture.
24. You can never have enough clamps.
25. Few hand tool purists can make a living with them.
26. “It’s not a mistake, it’s a design feature”.
27. I see your point but I think you’re full of it.
28. The fact that this doesn’t make sense does not make you an artist.
29. Someday you will look back at this work, laugh nervously and change the subject.
30. I like your work; it reminds me of when I was young and stupid.
31. Good, quick, or cheap–pick any two.
32. Pocket screws & biscuits are nothing to be ashamed of.
33. Anyone who doesn’t think money grows on trees hasn’t bought any lumber lately.
34. The most productive shops I’ve seen are usually messy.
35. No one ever has the time to do it right, but everyone has the time to fix it.
36. If it was easy then anyone could do it.
37. “It’s not a scrap it’s decorative kindling…”
38. Box joints are as strong as dovetails, maybe stronger.
39. If you can’t find the time to do it properly, how will you find the time to fix it?
40. Better tools save time; they don’t make you a better craftsman!
41. There are no mistakes in woodworking until you run out of wood.
42. If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
43. If I can’t fix it with a hammer, you’ve got an electrical problem.
45. There is more BS in woodworking than any other hobby… with the exception of golf.
Do you have a woodworking saying or one liner?
If so, send it in and I’ll add it to the list. http://www.gordgraff.com/contact-me