Sanding has been a pet peeve of many woodworkers over the years. Porter Cable has brought some new ideas to the table that may change that pet peeve into a pleasurable experience.
Porter Cable 390K 5″ Low Profile Random Orbit Sander Kit with Hook & Loop Pad and Dust Collection
The majority of woodworkers I’ve met over the years complain about two things when building furniture or projects. The first complaint for most is applying a finish to their projects, the next dreaded task on their list (and on mine too) is sanding but that just changed for me with the addition of the Porter Cable 390K to my workshop.
At first glance the 390K is a bit odd with its low profile, flat top and its dust collection port at the rear of the sander but let me assure you that this sander is built for comfort, ease of use and fast stock removal. It uses standard 5” X 8 hole hook and loop paper.
Comfort is paramount when using a sander and the 390K is comfortable to use whether for short durations or using it all day. Its rubber grip on top of the sander makes it easy to grip even when my hands were covered in sawdust and it reduces the vibration that can be transferred from the machine to my hand. After a full day of sanding, my hand wasn’t numb as it has been in the past from using other sanders.
Creating a shop full of dust when sanding has always been an issue with me over the years but this sander’s dust collection is amazing. Airborne dust is almost a thing of the past when using the 390K; it has the best dust collection of any sander I’ve used to date. And if you want to go a step further, this sander’s dust collection canister can be removed and a shop vac hose is easily attached to one of the two integrated dust ports that are provided.
The electronic motor brake is one of those perks on this sander that you don’t realize how convenient it is until you use a sander without it. Simply put, when you turn off the sander, it stops rotating before you can set it on the bench, no more waiting until the motor stops spinning before you can set the sander on the bench.
The 390K’s EnduraTech motor has 71% fewer wear components for a 5 to 10 times longer motor life and its electronic load control provides for a 42% faster material removal. The 390K has variable speed, 7,000-12,000 orbits per minute and comes with a 3/32 inch orbit diameter; check out the manufacturer specifications that are listed below.
The Bottom Line:
Fast stock removal, electronic motor break, comfortable rubber grip, variable speed and a host of other features make using this sander a pleasurable experience. I no longer dread sanding my work thanks to the Porter Cable 390K.
- 3.5 Amp EnduraTech Motor for increased performance and durability
- Electronic Load Control for 42% faster material removal
- EnduraTech Motor Technology has 71% fewer wear components for 5-10 times longer motor life
- Electronic motor brake reduces spin-down time by 73% for increased productivity
- Mechanical pad brake reduces free-spin to virtually eliminate gouging
- Low profile design reduces sander height by 31% for better control and finish
- Variable speed dial, 7,500 – 12,000 opm, optimizes removal rate on a variety of materials
- Optimized ergonomics with rubber grip for comfort and control
- Integral dust port accepts 1″ and 1-1/2″ vacuum hoses for optimal dust collection
- 3/32″ Orbit Diameter
- Amps: 3.5 Amps
- Orbits/Min: 7,000-12,000 opm
- Pad: 5″, 8 hole
- Abrasive Type: Hook & Loop
- Length: 5 “
- Width: 12 “
- Height: 4 “
- Weight: 2.1 lbs
- Shipping Weight: 6.34 lbs